Where is that one room where no one gets Wi-Fi? Did you have no choice but to move your PS4 (PlayStation 4) or Xbox One because the internet always lagged so bad that it was virtually unusable?
We’ve all suffered through a poor signal when we’re out and about, but the pain is worse when it’s your own house and you know the cost of the wireless bill every month for the signal that barely loads out a web page.
Luckily, these problems can be fixed with a device called WiFi booster (or extender, repeater), which takes the signal from your router and amplifies it to reach the furthest corners of your house.
These WiFi extenders are wireless and can be strategically placed in your house to maximize the signal throughout the whole home.
In this article, we’ll show you some key aspects of a wireless extender and help you pick the best one that’s right for your PS4 or Xbox One.
If you are in a rush, don’t worry, we have got a sum-up for you right here!
- NETGEAR AC750 is the best overall choice. It’s a compact extender with two antennas that supports up to 750 Mbps and works on dual bands to maximize performance.
- TP-Link AC2600 is the highest rating extender that supports up to 2600 Mbps on its dual bands and has four antennas to direct signal all around your house for maximum coverage.
- Linksys AC1200 is the sleekest extender of the bunch, offering a clean and modern design that functions just effectively. It’s also designed to avoid blocking other plugs on your outlet.
Who Should Get This
If you experience any dead or weak spots in your home WiFi and thus hurt your gaming experience, an extender will serve you extremely well.
It allows all the members of your household to experience the quality of WiFi you pay for without having to congregate in the same three rooms and allows you to work comfortably anywhere you want. Some even provide additional access points.
On the other hand, If your computer is slow and you want to increase its speed, a WiFi extender will not do it.
A WiFi extender increases range but not bandwidth, ping, or download speed — which you’ll have to go through your ISP to obtain or work on using more wired Ethernet connections. This video well explains it.
Top WiFi Booster for PS4 & Xbox One Reviewed in 2022
The items below are hand-picked based on 1). the criteria listed above 2). our own user experience 3). reputation research we did from the Internet about what other users say about using a specific WiFi range repeater.
Small enough to simply plug straight into your wall outlet, this little extender from Netgear packs a big punch.
It’s a great fit for your average home and offering 750mbps on a dual-band system. It works with any internet service provider and any router.
If you have an Ethernet connection available you can use it to create an additional access point.
What We Like:
- It creates a strong signal and runs up 750 Mbps.
- Dual-band is much more efficient than a single band model.
- Very small and discrete plugs directly into a wall outlet without any extension cords or stands.
What We Dislike:
- Not incredibly user-friendly and could be difficult to install and set up.
With four antennas that allow you to direct extended signals in several different directions at once, your network will be more than patched with this TP-Link range extender.
Supporting up to 2600 Mbps, you won’t ever worry about your extended areas lagging behind the normal router, and it plugs easily into a wall outlet.
What We Like:
- Up to 2600 Mbps bandwidth can help you get rid of game lag.
- Multiple antennas allow you to direct the signal where it is most needed and compact size of the device makes it easy to hide from sight.
What We Dislike:
- May be hard to place if you don’t have an exposed wall plug to use it with.
The sleekest design yet comes from Linksys, which has produced this clean and uniform wifi extender.
Appearing flat with a bezel at the front, the repeater is a small box with no loose antennas that can still support up to 1200 Mbps. Built-in Spot Finder helps you find the location for optimal coverage.
What We Like:
- Striking design means you won’t mind if this extender ends up out in the open.
- Plugs easily into a wall socket without blocking the other plugs, so you can still use your other electronics.
- Dual bands are effective and work to provide the best signal.
What We Dislike:
- Tech support is only free for the first month.
How to Choose a WiFi Booster for PS4 or Xbox One in 2022
Before you make a purchase, make sure to take these factors into consideration. They’ll help you narrow down the product choices without spending too much time.
The range is the most important aspect of any wireless repeater since its main purpose is to improve the range of your existing network.
You’ll want something with enough power to reach those rooms that are currently suffering from a limited signal due to distance, thick walls, or other external factors.
While you can always get multiple extenders, it’s best to just choose one strong one that will meet your needs.
Mbps refers to megabits per second and is a measure of the amount of data that can travel through a connection over time.
Higher ratings are better, so you should check that the extender you want supports what you currently have available on your network.
Note that a higher rating will be useless if your internet service doesn’t provide the speed that matches what the repeater can handle. 750 Mbps and 2600 Mbps are some common ratings that should be plenty for most users.
Single vs Dual Band
Whenever possible, choose a dual-band Wi-Fi extender. They’re significantly more efficient than a single band.
A single band repeats the signal on the same band as it originates, which can negatively impact how well it works.
On the other hand, a dual-band repeats signal onto a separate band, which leads to less interference and better performance.
Even if you have a range booster, there are ways to maximize your WiFi signal within the home. For example, the best location to place your WiFi range extender is 1/2 between your PS4 or Xbox One and the wireless router.
PCMag also gives you a great overview of how to improve WiFi reception, but we also want to mention some of the most important details:
- The layout of your home has a huge impact on performance. If there is bulky furniture in the middle of a room, this will impede the signal so move it towards the wall instead.
- Keep the router in a clear area and in the middle of your room, if possible. While under your desk may be convenient, it starts weakening the signal before it’s barely left the first room!
- Control applications and programs on your computer that hog bandwidth. These are usually graphics intensive video games, but you can set caps on them from your ISP’s router settings or third-party software.
If you are on a Mac, we also put together sharing a number of ways on how to speed up your Mac Internet.
Whether you’re fixing spotty coverage of your gaming room or simply widening the area that you already have, WiFi range boosters are a cheaper option than buying a whole new router and do just as well, if not better.
Do you already have a preferred Wifi booster for your PS4 or Xbox One? Tell us about it in the comments below.