Choosing the right cell phone can be a daunting task for the average user, and it’s even harder for senior citizens who aren’t up to date with modern technology. Even if you know what a phone is, it can still be hard to understand which ones are reliable, or the models that are best for your lifestyle.
Luckily, with a little bit of help, anyone can find the phone for them. This guide will do a lot of heavy lifting by exploring the best Verizon cell phone options for senior citizens. Each one is simple to grasp, sturdy, and intuitive. Let’s check them out below.
- The Kyocera DuraXV LTE E4610 is a durable phone made to last. This is the perfect fit for those who want a long-term option. Kyocera has been manufacturing quality cell phones for almost two decades, and this is another example of their craft.
- Senior citizens who want an easy-to-use phone without a lot of fuss will love the Jitterbug Flip for Seniors. The navigation features are quite simple, while the large font is easy to read no matter what application you use.
- The Jitterbug Smart2’s large font touch screen allows senior citizens to easily enter the smartphone era. This device has an incredibly simple interface and a range of simple features. Those make this model perfect for anyone who wants to switch to newer technology.
Who Should Get This
While this article is a guide for seniors looking to upgrade or replace their phone, it can also be used by friends and family members who want to get their loved ones a newer device.
In addition, the phones are also great options for someone trying to simplify their cell phone usage and practice a more minimalist approach to mobile communication. If top-notch cameras and face recognition security aren’t a must for you, then these models may be a good fit.
Best Verizon Cell Phones for Seniors: What to Consider
A phone geared toward a senior needs to fit very specific criteria, and they don’t need the bells and whistles that most envision when purchasing a new phone. Below are some key aspects that should be considered before getting a cell phone for older adults.
It doesn’t matter if you have a landline, use your cell phone while running errands, or if your mobile device is your sole method of communication, you want your phone to work on a consistent basis. Verizon is well known as having one of the most reliable networks around, and you want a phone to match. That is especially true if social media, email, and streaming aren’t priorities for you. Ensuring quality calls and service should always be at the top of your list.
While senior citizens may not utilize new technology at the rate of younger generations, a cell phone is still an essential part to their everyday life. If you plan on using something with high frequency, it must be relatively easy to use and shouldn’t take too long to master. Navigation between screens and different features should be achieved with relative ease.
A long-lasting battery will give senior citizens a deeper sense of security. The cell phone isn’t as much a part of a senior’s life as a sixteen-year-old who can’t live without refreshing their Instagram feed every ten minutes. As such, they can easily forget their phone for long periods of time or set it down and not come back to it for hours. If the battery isn’t good, it will die during those stretches. Get a model that drains at an extremely slow pace.
Best Verizon Cell Phones for Seniors: Our Picks in 2020
The DuraXV is the perfect no-frills option for any senior citizen. Its features are basic, but in the most essential way. The tough exterior also serves as extra protection. You won’t have to worry about the phone breaking if it gets dropped or mishandled, which provides an essential layer of security for any users. The flip phone design also adds to the rugged durability. This phone is no-nonsense. Sometimes, that’s exactly what you’re looking for.
What We Like:
- Waterproof exterior adds even more sturdiness to an already durable phone
- Easy setup through Verizon using SIM cards from previous phones
- Wifi for emergency internet access
What We Dislike:
- A SIM card is not included, which could lead to extra setup steps
Jitterbug has been one of the top companies devoted to senior citizens with little to no experience in using a cell phone. That is important because any phone from the company is made with senior citizens in mind. The buttons on this phone are so easy to navigate that any novice can pick it up after only one day of use. It comes in multiple colors too, giving you some control over your color choice.
What We Like:
- “Yes/No” button option for answering and ending calls
- Built-in camera with flash for taking pictures of loved ones
- 24/7, 5-star button for emergency assistance
What We Dislike:
- No vibration ringtone option may be a dealbreaker for some
We are back on the Jitterbug train, but this time with their glossy touchscreen model. This is the best smartphone option for senior citizens on the market today. That is because of Jitterbug’s carefully designed interface and available upgraded options from their Jitterbug Flip version. If you want a great senior citizen phone with a good camera, voice-controlled typing options, and mobile internet access, it’s hard to do better than this.
What We Like:
- Straightforward navigation menu with large font and icons
- Voice typing option for text messages removes typing from the equation
- Jitterbug’s customer support is patient and extremely helpful
What We Dislike:
- The volume levels have been an issue for some with hearing trouble
Useful Tips and Resources
Just because the cell phones we reviewed seem easy for most to use, they could still be confusing for seniors that are brand new to the cell phone world or to those used to an old discontinued cell phone model. Luckily, there are options out there for those seniors hesitant to jump into the mobile era.
Senior Planet, a website and educational resource dedicated to empowering senior citizens through learning new technology, offers online and in-person (currently in New York City, Northern New York, Maryland, Colorado, and San Antonio, Texas) classes to teach senior citizens technology basics. It helps senior citizens stay up to date and connected with both friends and family, as well as the world around them. Check them out for all of their offerings!
For senior citizens, cell phones can be a lot to understand. However, there are many easy-to-use models out there with great interfaces and simple designs. Verizon’s service is highly rated as well, giving seniors and their loved ones a secure sense that all of your connections are only a phone call away.
Have you had any luck with the phones we reviewed today? Let us know about it in the comments section below!
Andreas is a freelance tech writer based in California. He works on a Mac in the office and lives with a PC and many old computer electronics at home. While he is not reading or writing, you’ll probably find him playing online games with friends.