These beefy power banks probably aren’t pocket-portable, but they will fit in your glove box, backpack, or laptop bag with ease, ready to feed power-hungry devices throughout the day.
With bigger batteries in all of our devices, we need even more backup power in order to keep them running throughout the day.
Not to mention, if you use multiple devices in a typical day (such as a phone, tablet, laptop, and speaker) you’ll find yourself in an even bigger pinch when there’s suddenly multiple “low battery” notifications.
That’s why we’ve curated this collection of some of the best high capacity power banks available, along with some tips for picking the best one.
Biggest Capacity: Krisdonia Portable Charger 50000mAh
This model has an insane 50000 mAh of charge, which will surely get you by for more than a few days. It supports Type-C, USB-A and DC-out chargers and includes a digital display that tracks your battery status.
Most Versatile: NOVOO 22500mAh AC Outlet Portable Battery Pack
While it has a considerably smaller capacity than the Krisdonia, this power bank includes a USB-A, USB-C, and AC charging port, making it especially useful to laptop users who need backup. It’s also cylindrical instead of rectangular and should slip easily into any bag.
Best Balance: RAVPower 32000mAh Power Banks
For both capacity and charging capabilities, the RAVPower is the best for power bank for generalists. You can charge three devices at once from its ports, and it has enough charge to replenish an iPhone X up to 7 times.
Who Should Get This?
Sometimes you need a little backup, and other times, you need to call in the whole cavalry. While a small power bank may back you up during an extended workday, you’ll need something with a little more strength if you plan on using your phone on any camping trips, as part of your disaster kit, or if multiple devices run out of charge at once. In those cases, a heavy-duty power bank can really save the day, and we’ve got plenty of options to show you.
If you’re not the adventurous or heavy tech user type, these high capacity portable chargers probably aren’t the best for you. Instead, we recommend checking out some smaller and more everyday models, like these best power banks for iPhone.
Best High Capacity Power Bank: What to Consider in 2020?
The capacity of a power bank is measured in mAh (milliamp hours), and your average iPhone has a 2700 mAh battery. The larger the power bank capacity, the more times it can recharge your phone.
But don’t use simple division and expect an exact number of recharges. Since charging isn’t 100% efficient, you’ll want to leave yourself a little cushion in the mAh department when you pick a best power bank.
Cell phones support a variety of charging tactics these days, from wireless to quick charging and half a dozen things in between. Make sure wired ports output power rated for at least 5.0V/2.0A, as any 1.0A charging ports are nearly useless due to how slow they will function with modern phones.
If you have a phone that supports quick charge, look for products that specifically support this, as while a higher amperage will have a similar same effect it isn’t the same tech. And lastly, if you frequently use wireless charging or special cables, make sure the portable charger you want supports this!
Since a power bank is your backup battery, you’ll want it to be fairly portable and easily fit into bags or backpacks (unless you’re fine with just leaving the pack in your car for emergencies).
The bigger the capacity of your power bank, the more it will weigh and the larger it will be, but a lot of products work to minimize this effect and deliver a sleek product that’s ready to hit to the road.
Best High Capacity Power Bank in 2020: Top Picks
You’ll have a hard time using up 50000 mAh of battery even with multiple devices on hand. This model from Krisdonia has one USB-C port, two USB-A ports as well as one DC-out for newer devices, and you can adjust the voltage and amperage that it uses for charging.
- The battery life won’t be drained anytime soon, and you get a nice indicator to keep track of when it needs replenishing.
- You can also adjust the charging voltage and amperage.
- Includes a variety of port types that support all your devices.
- This power bank weighs nearly two and half pounds, definitely on the heavier side.
Taking a more unorthodox approach, the NOVOO pack allows you to charge with your wall adapter, USB cord, or USB-C cable. This is especially useful if you want to charge a laptop, since it usually uses an AC adapter, and the cylindrical design is a refreshing change in a sea of flat, rectangular battery packs.
- Innovative circular design, a variety of port types, and a sizable battery life make this pack a great multipurpose champion.
- It’ll charge laptops, phones, tablets, and everything in between with ease.
- Smaller capacity than similarly priced power banks from other retailers.
Complete with an easy to read LED indicator, this power bank from the well reputed RAVPower will get you through more than a few days. It has three USB ports available, weighs about one and half pounds, and comes with a carrying case.
- Can charge an iPhone X seven times, or a Samsung S8 about 6 times.
- Support both a 5.0V/2.0A output and 5.0V/2.4A output for faster charging, and you can recharge up to three devices at once.
- Does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge and only has USB ports.
A high capacity power bank can save you in a pinch, but the best idea is to practice battery conserving behavior on the regular. Whether it’s your phone, tablet, or computer, there are several things you can do to maximize battery life before it reaches critical levels.
- Avoid extreme temperatures, as batteries have an optimal working temperature and moving outside of that reduces their efficiency. You can also damage the battery by exposing it to rough elements.
- Have the latest software whenever possible, since developers are always optimizing their devices.
- Don’t leave your phone to charge overnight, here’s why. And don’t use it while it’s charging either! Both of these are bad for many battery types.
- Turn down your brightness, and stop opening the screen so much. The screen is the biggest battery drain — not the app itself.
If all else fails, you will have backup from your power bank, but it doesn’t hurt to pitch in with these simple adjustments as well.
Power users fear not, high-capacity power banks have plenty of reserve charge to keep you going throughout the day. Whether you find yourself in an office or the mountains, you’ll have enough to recharge your phone many times over, or multiple devices a few times.
However, if you have a favorite brand or model of power bank you think we missed, feel free to leave a comment below!
Jessica is the co-founder and content manager here at AnySoftwareTools. She has been fascinated by the startup culture in Silicon Valley and she loves building things from zero to one. When she is not writing, she loves getting close to nature and shoot photos with her iPhone and Canon EOS 80D.