Using action cameras like a GoPro to capture content is a favorite among bikers, surfers, skiers and any other type of adventure-seeker. However, many of these activities require the use of your hands at times, which can make it tough to hold and record with a GoPro.
Thankfully, GoPro chest mounts exist that can make it easy to capture stunning videos, hands-free. This guide is going to go over a number of the best GoPro chest mounts on the market and help you decide which is right for you.
- If you want an incredibly simple and easy-to-use mount, the Sametop Chest Mount Harness is a good option. It is fully adjustable and allows the user to mount and position the camera in a variety of different ways. It is perfect for nearly any activity you could imagine.
- Another great choice is the CamKix Chest Mount Harness. This mount is capable of fitting all shapes and sizes perfectly, and gives the ability to capture content quickly and easily. The mount also comes with a handy carrying case to keep it safe and secure.
- If you’d rather get your mount from the official company themselves, the GoPro Chest Mount Harness is for you. The chest mount is well-built, adjustable enough to fit almost any body type and makes it easy for you to capture more immersive content than ever before.
Who Should Get This?
A GoPro chest mount is perfect for somebody who wants to capture content from a unique perspective or a different angle. Of course, if your activities or journeys require the use of your hands, but you still want content, a chest mount is a great piece of equipment to have. The mount can help you show off a new rock climbing route, show off your skiing tricks, and even allow you to document your vacation, hands-free.
On the other hand, if you only ever use a GoPro in your hands or mounted to a vehicle or bike, a chest mount might not be something you need. Also, if you don’t own or don’t plan to own a GoPro, you won’t need a mount.
Best GoPro Chest Mount: What to Consider
First and foremost, you want to make sure the chest mount is adjustable. It is reasonable for a variety of different people to want to use it, and you want to make sure it fits them well. If it doesn’t adjust, it certainly won’t fit more than a few people. This will also allow you to wear it whether you are dressed for summer or winter.
If you’re wearing it during action sports or adventures, it makes sense to make sure your chest mount is durable. It is reasonable to assume you will take some falls or spills during your journey, and you want to make sure your mount won’t break. It should be able to withstand some drops or being hit during use.
While these mounts may only be worn for a couple of minutes, they can certainly be worn for a lot longer. If you are wearing the mount for a long time, you want to make it is comfortable to do so. If the mount is incredibly uncomfortable to wear, it will be tough to capture any kind of videos longer than a couple of minutes.
Best GoPro Chest Mount: Our Picks
This chest mount and harness makes capturing the most immersive content as easy as possible. It is sturdy, yet comfortable, as it can be adjusted on the waist, shoulder and the back. The mount gives you a lot of freedom as mounting the camera upside is even possible, if you so choose.
The mount also fits most of the popular GoPro cameras, so no matter the device you have, this mount should be capable of holding it. It features a quick-release buckle to make sure you can put on and take off the mount as rapidly as possible.
- Compatible with many GoPro cameras
- Quick-release buckle was a good inclusion
- They offer great support and service
- Can have a “break-in” period before it is as comfortable as possible
This chest mount is a very popular option that is also affordable enough for most budgets. It is also incredibly adjustable. The waist strap can go from 25 inches all the way to 67 inches, while the shoulder straps can go from 18 to 54 inches.
The J-hook mount makes it easy to position the camera and make sure that you can always keep the action in-frame. The angle of the camera can be changed to help you capture the ground or your feet, if that is what you want. The mount can fit a variety of the newest and most popular GoPros released, as well.
- Let’s you capture multiple angles
- Incredibly adjustable waist and shoulders
- Keeps the camera stable during action
- Not as high-quality or durable as many would like it to be
Some people feel better getting an accessory from the official GoPro company and if that is you, this is the mount for you. It is well-built and sturdy, while also comfortable and adjustable enough for most adults, teens and children alike.
Whether you are cycling, surfing, playing sports or hiking, this mount and harness can keep up. It fits most GoPro cameras comfortably, and will keep them secure. The mount can also be flipped to give you more freedom in how you want to capture your content.
- Official product from GoPro
- Well-built, while still being comfortable
- Provides unmatched immersion
- Some people aren’t a fan of how the GoPro is positioned in the mount
Useful Tips and Resources
Chest mounts are relatively simple to hook up and use, however, there are some important things to consider. While filming content, it is important to remember where the camera is at all times. You don’t want to accidentally cover up the camera with your hands, arms or an item during filming.
Always be aware of how much your body is moving and the angle of your body when capturing content. It is easy to maneuver a camera when holding it, but not as easy when it is mounted to your chest. Be sure to care for the chest mount as well. Keep it clean and store it in a safe and secure place when not in use.
Of course, in addition to keeping the mount clean and functional, the same goes for the actual GoPro itself. After every excursion, take some time to make sure the camera is cleaned up nicely.
If you want a few more tips on cleaning and caring for your GoPro, check out this article.
Whether you want to capture outstanding GoPro content without having to use your hands, or want to give viewers a unique angle, a GoPro chest mount is a great accessory to have. Hopefully, this guide has helped you be able to identify the best GoPro chest mount for your needs.
If you have or know about a GoPro chest mount that you feel should be included in this article, be sure to tell us about it in a comment!
Influenced by the startup culture in the Silicon Valley, Jessica loves building things from zero to one and is keen on following news related to the Big Five tech giants and many SaaS startups.