It’s been a long time since Apple first released the original iPod. In the decades since, MP3 players have evolved to include many modern features like touchscreens and Bluetooth connectivity. Though the devices are not quite as popular as smartphones, there are still many out there who find them useful.
In this article, we’re highlighting some of the best MP3 players on the market that feature a built-in speaker. The following models are not just handy, they come with many additional attributes that make them fit in today’s technological age.
- TIMMKOO MP3 Player with Bluetooth: This model comes with a full touch screen display that has no screen cover or earbuds. Even so, the 30 hours of listening time enables you to take it anywhere. In addition, it ships with 8GB of storage and can be expanded up to 128GB.
- MP3 Player 32GB: This MP3 player has a half screen to make way for the physical buttons and classic play wheel. If you’re nostalgic, this model’s for you. It also has a solid 10 hours of battery life, making it perfect for trips, and comes with 32GB of storage.
- USB-C MP3 16GB Player: If you need a long battery life, the USB-C MP3 is for you. This has 40 hours of playtime on a single charge, giving you plenty of time to listen to your music no matter where your travels take you. It also has a large digital screen with physical-but-flat buttons for music navigation and comes with 16GB of storage.
Who Should Get This?
As MP3 players become less common, you might wonder why you might need one. After all, smartphones do the same job, right? However, the devices do fill a specific niche.
The devices are great for kids because they can’t be exploited as easily as an iPad and they tend to cost less. Athletes also love MP3 players because they tend to be much slimmer than the ever-expanding smartphones in today’s market. The simpler tech makes them great for elderly users as well. So, whether you fit in one of these categories or you simply have your own uncommon situation to remedy, an MP3 player can be a great investment.
Best MP3 Players with Built-in Speakers: What to Consider
Since you’re going to store music files on your player, it’s important to make sure you have enough space! If your library is already digital, you can easily check iTunes or the folder where you keep your music to see how much storage you’ll need. For those converting from CDs or cassettes, it might be more difficult to anticipate your needs. However, a good rule of thumb is to get as much storage as possible.
Your device’s size can affect you in dramatically different ways. An athlete may desire a small and lightweight model, while an older person may struggle with tiny buttons and wish for something a bit more accessible. It is always important to keep such situations in mind, especially if you’re buying the MP3 as a gift for someone else.
When you get an MP3 player, make sure it’s compatible with your computer. In addition, ask questions like, will you need to install any third party applications? What file types will it support? It’s also important to look at daily use, such as navigating through music and using the different features. Check for easily accessible menus and well-designed buttons. The goal is to pick something you’ll want to use regularly.
Best MP3 Players with Built-in Speakers: Our Picks
If you’re looking for something reminiscent of an iPod touch that doesn’t come with the Apple price tag, check out the TIMMKOO MP3 player. It has a full screen display, supports 1080p video, uses a modern USB-C charger, and lasts for 30 hours of playtime without struggling. It only comes with 8GB of storage, but you can buy an SD card up to 128GB in size to replace it if needed.
- Full screen design lets you use it as naturally as you would your phone
- Bluetooth support
- File types supported: AVI, MKV, MPG, MPEG, RM, RMVB, VOB, MOV, FLV, ASF, DAT, MP4, 3GP
- Has an ebook reader, but it only reads .txt files.
If you long for the days of the classic iPod buttons that give you that satisfying, tactile feeling, this MP3 player is a great choice for you. It’s easy to use, offers a simple interface for storing and accessing music, and comes with plenty of storage. The SD card is also already inserted when you receive the device. This model comes with a pair of earbuds as well. If you don’t already have some, it won’t take long for you to start listening to music.
- Physical buttons for navigation device menus
- Comes with earbuds
- 32GB storage card already inserted into the device
- 10 hours of battery life
- Supports the following file types: MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, WAV, AAC
- Smaller screen than models without physical buttons
Combining modern elements like a sleek screen and Bluetooth support with classics like FM radio, the USB-C player is more than ready to take on your daily commute or workout. With support for radio, video, ebooks, and voice recording, you’ll never need to worry about running out of content. This MP3 player uses USB-C instead of proprietary charging cords, which allows it to easily connect to modern computers and charging blocks.
- Bluetooth support is great for people who want to listen to music on the go without worrying about earbud wires
- Available in four different colors
- Comes with a 16GB storage card
- File types supported: MP3/WAV/WMA/APE/FLAC
- Flat buttons lack the satisfying tactile sensation when pressed and take up potential screen space
Useful Tips & Tricks
MP3 players aren’t necessarily just for music. A lot of people use them for audiobooks as well. Audiobooks are great for long commutes, road trips, or for those who simply struggle and don’t enjoy reading off a page.
One of the most common ways to get them is through a subscription with Amazon’s Audible, or similar programs. However, a lot of people don’t realize you can often get the same audiobooks for free from your local library. While it varies by city, many libraries use an app called Overdrive. All you have to do is sign up for a card and you can digitally check out any titles you want. After that, just load them onto your MP3 player for hours of entertainment and a good story!
Some people may laugh at the idea of an MP3 player when there are so many other devices out there, but they are great for a variety of situations. Whether it’s because your job has strict security protocols for phones, your kid is getting old enough to use electronics, or your aging parent needs something to help them stay entertained, an MP3 player can be the perfect solution.
All of the above options come with their own speakers and perfectly complement your daily life. The one you pick comes down to personal preference, as well as what you plan on using it for. As long as you can answer those questions, you’ll walk away satisfied.
Why do you need an MP3 player? What features do you need to use? Let us know in the comments below!
Jessica is the co-founder and content manager here at AnySoftwareTools. She has been fascinated by the startup culture in Silicon Valley and she loves building things from zero to one. When she is not writing, she loves getting close to nature and shoot photos with her iPhone and Canon EOS 80D.