Whether your feet are pounding against the pavement or propped on top of the nearest chair, a pair of high-quality earbuds (aka, in-ear headphones) with an inline mic makes everything so much simpler.
You can keep your music or call to yourself but also hold a conversation and dictate directions to Siri without ever digging your phone from the depths of your pockets or sports armband.
Music lovers or simply business professionals, a good pair of earphones is a necessity for anyone in the modern world, and that's why in this article we'll show you how to pick a great pair and showcase some of our favorite options as well.
- If you are one who likes to keep things streamlined and match Apple with Apple, the Apple Lightning EarPods will work wired even without an audio jack and have a clean design that will look sleek wherever you wear it.
- Is music your life? If you would prefer earbuds to headphones and appreciates outstanding design, the 1MORE Triple Driver will deliver outstanding sound with a stylish and ergonomic design.
- Lastly, if you can't stand wires, the SoundPEATS Bluetooth Earbuds offer durability and easy to use earbuds with a high-quality mic and buttons built into the neckband.
Who Should Get This?
Everybody needs a pair of earphones for their iPhone. Whether for while you're killing time on public transit or simply don't want your housemates to have to listen to your private jam session, they create a sense of privacy and mutual respect.
Earbuds with mics are particularly helpful because you can use them to take calls, give commands to Siri, or for other dictation purposes much more conveniently than without them. Usually, the off-on hook button also doubles play/pause or skip button or includes functionality as well, so it makes listening to the music you want a breeze.
In short, unless you've already got a plethora of earbuds you enjoy, you'll benefit from looking over the top choices we've listed below.
Earphones for iPhone: What to Consider?
Before people realized that a 3.5mm jack wasn't the only way to listen to music, connection type might not have been a point of consideration.
But now that we have high-quality wireless transmission over Bluetooth and that Apple has removed the audio jack from their newer models, you'll need to decide if you want to use a dongle for the classic jack, earbuds with a lightning connector, or go wireless with Bluetooth. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
If you tend to lose your earbuds, blow them out, or otherwise break them within a few weeks of getting a new pair, you might be best served by investing in a few pairs of cheap earbuds.
However, if you really want to invest in a great pair, you'll want to go for a brand known for high-quality sounds (for example, Beats, Bose) or heavily research your earbuds of choice. There's nothing like hearing your favorite songs in full, bursting sound.
Style & Fit
You can get wired and wireless headphones in multiple styles. The main two are headphones that cover your ears and earbuds that go in them, but there are variations of both.
For example, you can get in-ear earbuds that fit further in the canal or may include a wire that wraps around the back of your ear and makes them stay in place better during activities such as sports or working out.
Headphones also come in over and on-ear styles -- the former cups your ear while the latter lays snuggly on top of it. Your final choice will probably come down to personal comfort and when you plan on using your headphones.
Best Earbuds for iPhone with Mic: Top Choices
Please note: the products that we recommend here are hand-picked primarily based on 1). the criteria listed above 2). our own hands-on using experience 3). reputation research we did, mostly gathering what other people say about each headphone.
Diehard Apple fans fear not, you can get a mic with your official Apple Earpods and without compromising on a dongle as well! These Earpods connect via lightning and not 3.5mm jack, so they can go straight into your iPhone without issue. Plus, they sound great.
What we like:
- Made by Apple to work flawlessly with Apple products and connect via lightning port so you don't have to worry about Bluetooth or dongles.
- Clean design and easy to use.
What We Dislike:
- Earbud shape might not fit extremely snug during exercise or intense activity.
For a sleek and gorgeous design with ergonomic earpiece shapes, go with 1MORE. The 1MORE headphones will produce amazing sound from within the tiny buds and have been rigorously tested to meet industry standards for quality.
What We Like:
- The beautiful design is sure to catch eyes, and the outstanding sound quality will capture your ears for endless hours of listening.
- The inline remote allows you to use the mic as well as control volume and tracks.
What We Dislike:
- You'll need a 3.55mm jack to use these or an appropriate dongle.
If wireless is your style, then these earbuds are the perfect fit. The neck piece lays against your collar bones while the earbuds extend out to reach your ears. It makes it hard for them to fall out and easy for you to keep track of. 10 hours of battery life will keep you on the go and listen to high-quality beats at any given time.
What We Like:
- With an outstanding 10 hours of battery life (and 240 hours standby), the SoundPEATS will take you far.
- They've got great sound quality and the neckband makes wearing them hassle-free.
- Sleek design will be inconspicuous wherever you are.
What We Dislike:
- Since it's Bluetooth it has to be charged regularly.
Additional Tips and Tricks
Do you already have a favorite pair of headphones, but can't use them with your iPhone because it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack? This is such a common problem that there are many dongles (also called adapters) available for this very problem. Apple sells an official dongle that will change your charging port into an audio port, but if you want to use both at once you'll need to look for a third party adapter that includes a splitter.
After investing in headphones or earbuds, you're going to want to do your best to take care of them. This includes obvious things such as not wrapping them around your phone when they aren't in use (if corded) or transporting them without a case, but also less common-knowledge things such as cleaning and caring for them. You can learn how to make the most out of your earbuds in this article from Field Guide.
Whether you prefer in ear or over, wired or wireless, there is a pair of earbuds out there for everyone. They'll give you privacy and convenience, and you'll undoubtedly find yourself grateful to have them at the most unexpected of times.
Do you have a favorite earbuds brand? We'd love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and make sure to mention what kind of headphones work best for you.
Influenced by the startup culture in the Silicon Valley, Jessica loves building things from zero to one and is keen on following news related to the Big Five tech giants and many SaaS startups.