Last updated: Jan. 9, 2017
Although Disk Utility is a simple to use disk management tool built into all Macs, it has limited functions when it comes to advanced partitioning. For example, it won't work when you want to resize Boot Camp partition to arrange free disk space, or when you need to partition an external hard drive only to find the option is grayed out.
We'd like to share with you some better Mac partition managers, which aim to help you deal with customized partitioning needs for both Macintosh HD (or Boot Camp) and any external hard drives. At the end of the day, your Mac hard drive will be more organized and efficient.
QUICK PICKS: 2 GREAT CHOICES
**Below, you'll find our expert reviews, but you can also click the links above to get the app.
Why You Need a Third-party Mac Partition Software?
Having extra space in your Mac hard drive helps many things. You are able to store more precious photos and videos, and your Mac is likely to run faster with a decent amount of free disk space. However these days your hard drive can be used up faster than ever, especially if you consistently sync iDevice (iPhone, iPad, iPod) data to your Mac. Thanks to technology innovation, we can quickly capture high-quality pictures and videos wherever we go. But those media files are much larger and need more space to store.
If your primary boot partition, either Macintosh HD or Boot Camp, is getting full, the macOS (or Windows in Boot Camp) operating system is going to run sluggishly. The best solution is to rearrange space between volumes by resizing either Macintosh HD or Boot Camp. In this case, you have to rely on a third-party Mac partition manager, as Disk Utility won't work. Other times you want to make several partitions or adjust the size on an external hard disk, you are suggested to try Disk Utility, only to find the partition option has been grayed out, or it takes forever to complete during the erasing process. Chances are a professional software would save you time and efforts.
In short, you'll need a third-party program when Apple's built-in Disk Utility fails to meet your partition needs.
Mac Partition Management Apps: What to Look for?
- Security: the program has to be 100% virus-free and malware-free, also it shouldn't contain any other bundled or embedded plugins that inject ads while you are browsing online. These years adware has been notorious among many Mac applications. Also, the software must perform a non-destructive operations without hurting the original data saved on your partitions.
- Functionality: a great Mac disk/partition app should do what Disk Utility can't. Otherwise, there's no point wasting time downloading an app. More specifically, the software should be able to resize Boot Camp partitions if your Mac has dual operating system (macOS + Windows), work with both NTFS and HFS volumes, create bootable media which can be used to perform partitioning on boot drives, and/or other standard features like create/delete/format any partition easily.
- Compatibility: it must be compatible with all common Mac OS X versions, including latest El Capitan and macOS Sierra.
- Ease of use: the program should be relatively easy to operate, quick in the partition resizing/deleting process.
- Technical Support: dealing with hard drive operations may need extra technical skills, any mis-operations could cause unexpected data loss. Therefore, a good Mac partition software provider should be able to respond user requests.
The Best Partition/Disk Manager for Mac
Please note: we've tested the tools recommended below and they are 100% secure to download and use. Also, they earned our trust with powerful features and intuitive interfaces.
Stellar Partition Manager (Mac)
It is the most powerful Mac volume manager that enables you to perform any partitioning operations like resizing, deleting, formatting, hiding/revealing a partition — except merging. What we like most is its ability to create a bootable media that can be used to partition the main boot drive, though you're advised to backup your data before proceeding. The software has been upgraded to version 3.0 which supports resizing Boot Camp partitions.
Paragon Camptune X
Primarily designed to rearrange space between Macintosh HD and Boot Camp, Campture X works amazingly fast in resizing all types of NTFS and HFS based disk volumes. The best part is that Paragon even works in El Capitan and Sierra with System Integrity Protection, dwarfing other alternatives. The trial version allows you to redistribute 2GB for free. Camptune is the most efficient disk manager for resizing Boot Camp partitions on your Mac.
Andreas is an Apple and Microsoft fanboy who works with his Mac and lives with a PC at home. While he is not reading technology journals, you’ll probably find him playing online games with friends or hiking in the wild.