Q&A: How to recover data from a BlackBerry phone?
I've some precious photos and media files got wiped from my BlackBerry phone, is it still possible to recover them? If yes, how?
It depends. Questions like whether it was a security wipe, whether your photos were stored in the mass memory (e.g. sd card), whether you've backups, etc. all matter. And chances of Blackberry data recovery vary based on the yes/no you would answer.
To make things easier to understand, I'm breaking down all situations into the following three scenarios. Evaluate your situation and do a quick match to find respective answer and recovery solutions.
If you just had a security wipe and reset your Blackberry phone, then there is no way to retrieve the lost data unless you have a backup. A security wipe permanently erases all data saved on your Blackberry phone (internal memory) by writing zeros to the space and make data unrecoverable. Otherwise, BlackBerry won't call it "security wipe" (there is a reason there).
The ONLY solution — check if you have backups on your computer. For example, maybe you've set up auto sync between your BB phone and your computer. Also, usually when you do a security wipe, Blackberry has an option asking you whether you want to automatically backup the data if your device is connected to a computer.
So again, check related folders on your computer. If you do find a backup, great! Now you can sync the backup data (photos, movies, songs, contacts, etc.) to your phone and start using them.
If you just wiped or formatted the mass memory (card) equipped with your BlackBerry phone, then yes — it's possible to recover the files. But the first thing you need to do is stop saving additional data to the mass memory card as it might cause data overwritten issues.
The solution — try Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery, a professional digital media recovery software that can retrieve pictures, videos, songs from common storage media including Blackberry memory cards. Note: you'll need to rely on your computer (either a PC or a Mac) to run the recovery software and assist the recovery process. Here is a quick step by step tutorial to help yourself:
- Connect your BlackBerry phone (mass memory card) to your computer. You can do so via the USB cable with your BB, or use a card reader to load the card. Make sure your computer can recognize the card.
- Download Stellar Photo Recovery and install the program on your PC or Mac.
- Open the software, click "Recover Photo, Audio & Video" button to get started. Then select the right disk drive to start a scan.
- When the scanning is complete, you'll probably see a lot of media files (photos, videos, music). Preview them to see if your lost ones are there.
- If they find them, congratulations. Select those you want to recover and save them to a local disk drive.
If Stellar doesn't work out, refer to our reviews for digital photo recovery software to find another alternative.