Q&A: how to recover deleted pictures from my Sony Xperia mobile?
Last updated: Jul. 25, 2017
After syncing all photos from my Sony Xperia mobile phone to my computer, I deleted them from my phone to save space. But it turns out that the transfer was not successful. Now the pictures cannot be found anywhere either on my phone or the computer. How can I recover them?
I feel your upset. I also had several similar experiences when partial files get missing after unsuccessful sync-ups.
Based on your situation, I'm assuming that you don't have any backups, right? If that's the case, you probably need to try a photo recovery software. You could also take your phone to a data recovery center, but that's not what you should do in step one.
Anyway, the first thing you need to do is stop using your Xperia phone. Do not take additional pictures or videos, or save any new files to the phone. All these are to avoid potential data overwriting activities that could make the recovery more troublesome.
Then, depending on where your deleted photos were saved, were they stored on the internal memory or a mass memory card? The solution to recover them can be different.
If your photos were stored on Sony Xperia memory card...
Try this program called Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery, a digital media recovery software that's designed to retrieve not only pictures but also videos and audio/music files. Follow the step-by-step guide below on how to get started:
- Connect your Xperia memory card to a PC or Mac. Make sure your computer can detect the card.
- Now get Stellar Photo Recovery and install it on your computer.
- Open the software and follow the instruction to scan your Sony memory card.
- Preview and recover found images after the scan is complete.
In case Stellar Phoenix didn't recover your deleted pictures, you may try some other applications. See our reviews for the best photo recovery tools in another article.
If your pictures were saved on your Sony Xperia internal memory...
In general, the data are much harder to recover but it's not impossible. Since Sony Xperia phones are built with Android OS, you'll need to use an Android data recovery software. We take Dr.Fone as an example to show you how to retrieve your deleted pictures.
- First install Dr.Fone on your computer. Launch it. You'll see a pop-up window asking you to connect your Android device to the computer.
- Once you connect your Xperia, follow the instructions to enable USB debugging. This step is necessary for the software to work.
- Now let the software scan your Xperia device to search for recoverable items.
- Recover and save your pictures. Done!
If none of the methods work for you, your last resort perhaps is to send your device to a data recovery center. But we'd recommend you contact Sony Xperia customer service first before you do that. The link to the official Xperia is here: http://support.sonymobile.com/