Last updated: Jun. 30, 2017
For professional journalists and videographers, a camcorder or a handy video camera allows you to capture precious moments about what's happening.
But like many other digital devices, it's hard to avoid one tragedy — data loss! What's more upsetting is, you don't have a backup.
What a bummer...
It's definitely annoying even scary when you can't find those videos you just take, and now you need them badly.
Fortunately, technology makes it easy to recover deleted videos from a camcorder provided that the items are not fully written over.
We'll explain the reason why, read on.
The solution? You may need a third-party video recovery software.
And we'll show you how to do that step by step.
But first — stop using your camcorder!
No matter your video files are lost because you pressed the delete button on the device, or you formatted the storage media (e.g. memory cards, hard drives, etc.) to free up space; chances are the data contained in the videos are not removed instantly.
Instead, what happens is that only the file system marks the data space your files took as available to be occupied by other new saved data. That means if you continue to use your camcorder to shoot more videos it's possible that your lost files would be written over. If that takes place, your videos are gone for good.
Meanwhile, it's a good practice that you remove the memory card (or hard drive) out of your camcorder and put it in a safe place before you start the recovery process below.
Camcorder data recovery software
As we wrote above, the best way to get back your lost videos is to use a video recovery program. There are loads of options in the market claiming they are capable of rescuing data from any devices. But only a handful actually work as they promise and support video file formats (e.g. mp4) in a camcorder.
Stellar Photo Recovery is the one that we recommend. Don't be fooled by its name though, the software also retrieves videos and audio files as well. The program supports a wide range of video formats including raw. Another thing we like about the program is that it offers both a PC and Mac version.
By the way, we've also reviewed a list of best photo recovery tools in this post, several of the options we list support video recovery too.
How to recover deleted videos from a camcorder?
Here's a quick tutorial on how to use the recovery software to get back deleted files from your video camera.
- Get Stellar Photo Recovery and install the program on your computer.
- Connect your camcorder storage media (memory card or hard disk) to the computer. You can do so via the USB cord or use a card reader if it's an SD card.
- Open the software you've just installed, run a full scan of the storage media.
- Preview and recover your videos.
Things to remember
- It's not 100% guaranteed that the software we recommend will recover all your videos due to the reason that we already explained above.
- Before your deleted items are retrieved, do not write any new data to your camera or camcorder.
- When it comes to the last step (step 4 in this tutorial) to recover and save the found videos, do not select the same source drive. This is to avoid partial data overwriting.
Anyway, hope you best of luck and let us know how it goes with your recovery process.
Image courtesy to Flickr.
Influenced by the startup culture in the Silicon Valley, Jessica loves building things from zero to one and is keen on following news related to the Big Five tech giants and many SaaS startups.