Having a great set of wired headphones is useful for listening to music, canceling noise or editing/working in peace. However, if you want to do a little gaming with your friends or participate in a conference call at home, having these headphones be equipped with a mic is also a good idea.
There are many different types and styles of wireless headphones with mic, so how do you choose which is best for you?
- If you plan on using the headset most for gaming, you should consider the SteelSeries Arctis 5. It provides a desirable mix of comfort, sound quality, and mic clarity. Its many customization options ensure you can meet your needs and preferences.
- If you are in the market for a more professional, broadcast-quality set of headphones, think about getting the Audio-Technica BPHS1. This rugged set of headphones features a repositionable microphone, as well as a number of audio and vocal features to ensure you sound fantastic.
- If chatting with friends or customers will be the primary function of your headphones, the Mpow 071 USB Headset might be right up your alley. The headphones are light, work perfectly fine and can be used for a variety of different tasks and on different devices.
Who Should Get This?
If you do a lot of online gaming with friends or participate in a lot of Skype calls, it is a good idea to have a set of headphones with mic. Many offer not only a high-quality listening experience, but also a clear and interference-free mic. They’re also great for recording audio, podcasts, and even broadcasting.
Them being wired is great as the connection will always be solid and you never need to worry about having to charge them. These, however, might not be great for those who already have a great set of headphones and a mic. A standalone mic and a standard headset can often achieve the same thing as these headphones with mic.
Also, if you don’t see yourself needing to use the mic functionality for calls or gaming, you may be better off getting a standard set of headphones.
Best Wired Headphones with Mic: Things to Consider in 2020
The Sound Quality
First and foremost, you need to consider the sound quality. This is the most important part of any set of headphones, and quality can differ greatly from one set to another.
The sound should be clear, even at higher levels, and not be distorted or choppy at all. If the headphones equal noise-canceling properties, this can help improve the sound even more.
When you use these headphones, they’re often on your head for hours at a time. As a result, it is a good idea to find one that fits well. It should be comfortable and snug, without being too tight or heavy. The earpads should be comfortable and padded, to make sure your ears don’t get sore during longer calls or gaming sessions.
In addition to finding a pair with great sound quality, you also want to make sure your mic sounds good to those you’re talking to. Some mics may sound too quiet, pick up too much background noise or simply be unclear.
The mic on the headphones you buy should be crisp, clear and audible. It is also a good idea to get one with a foldable mic to keep it out of your face when you don’t need it.
Of course, the things you consider and give the most weight to will depend on what you are getting the headphones for.
Best Wired Headphones with Mic: Our Picks for 2020
This wired headphones with mic is perfect for gamers of all shapes and sizes. The high-quality sound of these phones, matched up with studio-quality microphone, make this a no-brainer. It has various audio mixes and features, to help you customize your experience. The earpads are comfortable and breathable, to help you stay comfortable for those long gaming sessions.
- One of the best microphones on the market
- S1 speaker drivers deliver great audio
- Includes an adapter to help this work with different devices and consoles
- Some complain the max volume isn’t high enough
- The customer service isn’t as consistent or helpful as many customers would like
Looking for a professional mic for interviews, broadcasting or recording audio? If so, this might be the one for you! Vocal reproduction is top-notch, crowd or background noise is sealed out and magnets inside the mic and headphones allow for high output levels. The headphones are also incredibly well-built and should last for years. They are also adjustable and cushioned for your enjoyment.
- The adjustable boom mic is very high quality and great for all types of recording
- These are well built, while still being light and comfortable to wear
- Sound quality is crisp, despite the headphones being more concerned about vocals.
- It only comes with an XLR cable, so you may need an additional interface to use
This budget-friendly headset is perfect for the individual who is constantly chatting or works in customer service. It is very light and easy to take with you anywhere. Even still, the headphones offer relatively good sound quality, a clear mic and are comfortable to wear for long periods. It is also compatible with many different devices and systems.
- Incredibly lightweight and comfortable
- Simple control and connection options
- An unexpectedly great unidirectional mic
- Doesn’t offer traditional noise-canceling
- Aren’t the most durable over time
Useful Tips and Resources
While they might not be as technical as your laptop or your Nintendo Switch, your headphones are a piece of technology and should be treated as such. Store and transport them with care, instead of just throwing them around.
Be careful when plugging in and unplugging the headset, and make sure not to yank on the wire. One of the first parts of headphones to break is the wire from improper care or tugging, so be gentle. Many headphones will also get dirty or grimy, so don’t be afraid to clean them appropriately:
Also, be aware and knowledgeable of the settings your headphones may come with. Knowing the options and features of your headphones can truly let you get the most out of them. Some will have different audio settings, different levels, different modes and much more.
If you’re in the market for some new headphones, hopefully this guide has been able to help. Whether you want them for gaming, for editing, listening to music or simply to chat with friends, any of the wired headphones with mic mentioned will be a great choice.
Do you own or know about a great set of wired headphones with mic and think it deserved to be included in this article? Then be sure to leave a comment below!
Chris is a lifelong tech enthusiast with a broad range of interests including coding, data analysis, traveling, and more. He used to work as a software programmer immersing himself in the world of codes, now he finds it more interesting talking to real people.