Most of us spend a good amount of time on a computer. We could be working, watching videos, playing games or simply browsing the internet. Because most of our lives are quite busy, there will be times where we need to work or consume media on the go.
Unfortunately, lugging around a giant and heavy laptop simply isn’t practical. Instead, consider getting a mini laptop. They are light, easy to transport and can normally last all day. This guide will help you identify the best mini laptop for your needs.
- Looking for a secure, long-lasting and high-quality mini laptop? If so, consider taking a look at the Samsung Chromebook 3. Its built-in security features, battery life and stunning design make it both functional and fashionable.
- if you want an incredibly thin, light and sleekly-designed mini laptop, one you should consider is ASUS VivoBook L203MA. In addition to its size and weight, the processor is efficient and strong.
- If you’re looking for a convertible mini laptop that can be used in a number of different ways, consider the Lenovo Chromebook C330. In addition to its unique design, the computer is snappy and features a touch display.
Who Should Get This?
There are many different benefits to having a mini laptop over a traditionally larger laptop. They are much more portable and should fit in your bag with ease, while also being light and have the ability to last hours. A mini laptop is perfect for someone with a busy and on-the-go lifestyle.
Whether you are working on the train, in a coffee shop or even at school, finding the space for a mini laptop will be very easy. You also won’t be constantly connected to your charger as most mini laptops have strong battery life.
On the other hand, if you ever work on the go, or use a tablet or your phone to work on the go, you may not need a mini laptop. They are fine for home use, but there are often other choices with larger screens and better performance for the strictly at-home use.
Best Mini Laptop: What to Consider?
Size and Weight
Since you are looking to get a mini laptop, it is important to consider the size and weight of the device. It should be light enough to carry easily, and small enough to use comfortably in a variety of different places. You certainly don’t want to carry around a heavy and large laptop for many hours every single day.
A key benefit of a mini laptop is the portability that allows you to use it anywhere. However, if the battery life is bad, and you constantly need to be charging it, this defeats the purpose. As a result, it is a good idea to go with a laptop that has sufficient battery life. Over time, battery life will often decrease, so keep that in mind as well.
While the size and weight of a mini laptop are usually the most important, you still need to consider the specs. The laptop should be capable of doing what you need it to do. You shouldn’t expect high performance and unbelievable specs on most mini laptops. However, you should still think of what you will be using it for and ensure the specs are up to the challenge.
The Best Mini Laptop: Our Picks
The Chromebook 3 is a high-quality mini laptop from tech giant Samsung. It features a quality processor with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB eMMC storage. The battery life lasts into the double digits in terms of hours, and the laptop is quite easy to use. It also has a spill-resistant keyboard, which is a smart addition.
- 11-hour battery life
- Built-in security features to protect you
- Sleek and attractive design
- Some have reported issues of keys being sticky
- A few people have mentioned problems with the screen
The Asus Vivobook is perfect for those obsessed with their mini laptop truly living up to the moniker. It is less than an inch thin and weighs barely over two pounds. In addition to its compact size and weight, the features of the computer are also impressive and powerful.
The computer also has a 180-degree hinge, which makes it easy to show your screen to coworkers or use your laptop in a whole new way.
- Incredibly light and slim
- Full and ergonomic keyboard
- Many great ports, including USB-C
- Some have complained about the screen
- Can potentially run warm or hot after a lot of use
While you can use this Lenovo Chromebook as a standard laptop, you can also fold it over and use it like a tablet. People often notice the look of this computer first, but there are many more great things about it. This includes its compact size, the performance of the processor and the ease of use. Even setting the computer up is very quick and easy.
- Unique convertible 2-in-1 design with touch screen
- Powerful processor with speeds over 2 GHz
- It is snappy and will respond to commands and inputs quickly
- Some would have liked a backlit keyboard
- The large bezels aren’t a fan favorite feature
Useful Tips and Resources
In addition to using your laptop, be sure to care for it. Laptops should be dusted frequently, should have strong virus protection and keep it in a safe place where it won’t be dropped or stepped on.
Also, because of how light these laptops are, you need to be sure to keep them safe and secure during your travels. Dropping or bumping them a lot could damage or even completely destroy them. Thankfully, there are some great laptop backpacks to help you protect your mini laptop.
While using your laptop in public, also be sure to take it with you everywhere you go. The last thing you want to do is leave it somewhere unattended, only to later come back and find that it has been stolen.
Having a mini laptop can make it easy to work, play games or consume media no matter where you are. They are light, have all-day battery life and many are quick and snappy enough to keep up with your active lifestyle.
Hopefully, this article has been able to help you find the perfect mini laptop for your needs.
Do you own or know about a great mini laptop that you believe should have been included in this article? If so, we would love to hear about it in the comment section below.
Influenced by the startup culture in the Silicon Valley, Jessica loves building things from zero to one and is keen on following news related to the Big Five tech giants and many SaaS startups.