Best Waterproof Cases for iPhone X (& Why You Need One in 2018)
If your first thought was that the iPhone X is already waterproof, you are NOT wrong ... well, almost!
The iPhone X is only water and dust proof for up to 3 submerged feet, so if you'll be anywhere besides a kiddie pool on your front lawn during the summer or the shallow end of the pool, you're going to want something that offers a greater degree of protection.
A waterproof case will make sure you're covered whether at the beach or just your bath and is especially great since Apple's warranty for the iPhone X doesn't cover liquid damages.
In this roundup, we'll point out some of the best waterproof cases and help you pick the one that's best for you.
Need a quick overview of our top picks? Well, all are IP68 rated, but each has their own quirks. Here they are:
- If you prefer brand name security, the LifeProof FRE iPhone X Case will protect your phone from water, snow, and the other elements.
- For a sleek two-color design that can provide the same protection, the Vapesoon Slim Armor Case is a great bet and you won't sacrifice wireless charging or other features.
- Lastly, the EonFine Clear Waterproof Case also boasts a sleek clear back and offers a belt clip for those who are always on the go and makes sure your speakers will be clearly heard.
For more details on each of these cases, check out the rest of the article.
Should You Get This?
If you don't mind a little extra bulk on your phone, a waterproof case is great for everyone to have. It offers a sense of security so you never have to worry about accidentally dropping your phone into the tub, ocean, pool, or sink. Plus, if you live in a snowy, rainy, or humid climate, a waterproof case is extra resistance against the elements as well.
Waterproof cases are essential if you're an outdoorsy person or even just plain clumsy - accidents happen to the best of us! Unless you're extremely attached to your current case, you should definitely consider upgrading to a waterproof model.
WaterProof Case for iPhone X: Things to Consider
Button and Port Access
Since waterproof cases completely cover your phone, some present problems when trying to access the ports or buttons. Whether it's because your charger now doesn't fit into the slot or that the button covers are too stiff to easily use, make sure to look for a case that is both accessible and easy to use as much as it is protective.
All phones receive an IP rating that describes how resistant they are to dust and water. This scale uses 0 through 6 to describe dust resistance and 0 to 8 to describe water resistance. An iPhone is rated with IP67, so you'll want a case that is IP68, otherwise, it isn't offering any protection on top of what your phone is already rated for.
Waterproof is great, but it isn't the only way to protect your iPhone X. Since it's starting to be called one of the most breakable phones available, your case should also offer adequate drop protection. With both a glass back and glass front, the iPhone X needs a lot of protection on all sides, so this should definitely be a consideration when picking a case.
Best WaterProof Cases for iPhone X: Top Picks
All the iPhone cases we recommend below are hand-picked mainly based on 1). the criteria listed above 2). our own using experience 3). reputation research we did from the Internet hearing what others say about each product.
If you need a trusted brand for iPhone protection, LifeProof is right near the top of the list. They've been putting out high-quality cases for years, and this FRE waterproof model is no different. You get the same lifetime warranty as with their other cases, and six different color choices to make it your own.
What We Like:
- The well-trusted brand won't let you down and features a sleek two-color design.
- Cutout on the back lets you flash the Apple logo on your phone, while port covers keep everything clean.
- Meets and exceeds IP68 metrics and withstands drops up to 2 meters (about 6 feet).
- The phone can still wirelessly charge.
What We Dislike:
- You may experience dampened audio due to the speakers being covered by the case.
Added some fun stickers to the back of your phone or simply want to see the sleek design unhindered? The protective Vapesoon case is IP68 rated but also shows off the incredible iPhone X design with a clear front and back panel. The case snaps together along a colored bumped available in white/grey and black.
What We Like:
- Perfect for watersports or swimming and snorkeling, drop-proof up to about six feet.
- The transparent case looks great on your iPhone and gives you plenty of space for customization.
- Comes with a wrist strap.
What We Dislike:
- Only original sized chargers work with the case, so if you've bought a third party cable make sure it isn't oversized.
If classic and simple is more your style, the EonFine case has you covered with a smooth, rounded, and clear design available in two colors. Uncomplicated button covers work easily and speakers can be heard clearly. A model including a clip is also offered so you can keep your phone within reach on your belt.
What We Like:
- Case comes up over the edges of the phone for better drop protection, and is secure up to 2 meters.
- Clear front and back protect the glass panels of your phone while still allowing you to use wireless charging and the fingerprint scanner.
What We Dislike:
- Original size charging cables only, oversized cables won't fit into the case.
What if you don't feel like having a bulky waterproof case on your phone at all time, or you really love your current case and don't want to replace it? There is an alternative for protecting your phone in wet situations.
As an alternative to cases, there are many waterproof pouches available that you would use when at the pool or beach rather than all the time. These pouches are almost like ziploc bags, except that they allow you to fully use your phone and seal it against the elements upon occasion. You wouldn't keep it on your phone all the time, but it's definitely something to throw into your pool bag on your way out the door. We recommend checking out this pouch from Mosslian.
In the event that your phone does take some water damage, what can you do? The age-old advice is to leave it in rice — this is because the grain will draw out moisture from inside your phone and hopefully prevent any short-circuiting from occurring in the meantime.
You can also use silica gel packets, which are a safer though less common alternative. The one thing you shouldn't do though is turn on your phone — it can go from hanging in there to die as soon as the screen lights up. Use this guide from MacWorld to try and restore your iPhone instead.
If you don't want to fear water wherever you go with your iPhone X, a waterproof case is your best bet for peace of mind. You'll protect a delicate high tech smartphone from the dangers of everyday life and likely save a lot of money on repairs or replacements.
Do you have a favorite waterproof case that we missed? Tell us below in the comments!