One of the best parts of going on adventures is being able to record it all and share it with your friends and family. However, in order to do so, you need a camera that can keep up. Thankfully, action cameras provide high-quality photos and videos, while also being durable, easy to travel with and often simple to use.
This guide is going to help you learn about some of the best action cameras under $100, and what makes them excellent choices for a wide range of uses.
- If you want an action camera that is incredibly well-rounded and popular, consider the AKASO Brave 4 4K 20MP WiFi Action Camera. It is capable of taking incredible photos and videos, while also coming with extra features like anti-shaking, adjustable viewing angle, and a waterproof case.
- The APEMAN A80 Action Camera is a great action camera full of great additions to help you capture the best content possible. Time lapse, zoom, burst, and countless other options are available with this quality camera.
- If you want a well-built and durable camera that will still get you great shots, the COOAU 4K 20MP Wi-Fi Action Camera is a good option. The camera features a quality mic, the ability to share content via Wi-Fi and several other functions and options.
Who Should Get This?
Anyone who is in need of a camera for sports, activities or adventures of all kinds can benefit from an action camera. They are generally easy to take with you anywhere and can help you capture everything from snowboarding, to mountain biking, to surfing and everything in between.
However, these cameras also have many other uses. They can operate as dash cams, be used as standard cameras and can even allow you to attach a mount to your pet and see what they see. These cameras are also great for children to experiment with due to the smaller size and the fact that most are relatively durable.
If your life isn’t full of action or adventure, or you don’t need a camera for the other mentioned usages, an action camera might not be right for you at this time.
Best Action Camera Under $100: What to Consider in 2020
Photo and Video Quality
Like with any camera, you want the photos and videos taken with the camera to be great. Be sure to consider cameras that can provide high-quality images and videos. If your camera is the perfect size, durable and incredibly simple to use, but takes bad and unclear photos, it won’t be worth your time or money.
While durability isn’t always a big concern for cameras, it certainly is for action cameras. These are often mounted to bikes, helmets or even people and thus, might be dropped or hit. The camera is bound to get some bumps and bruises along the way, and getting one that is durable will ensure it can withstand them. You want your action camera to be well-constructed using solid materials, as well.
Extra Features and Attachments
When choosing an action camera, you also need to consider the additional features it provides. This will include things like zoom, stabilization, adjustable viewing angles and more. Also, be sure to think about the type of attachments and mounts that either come with the camera, or can be purchased and used later.
Best Action Camera Under $100: Our Picks for 2020
This action camera is an upgrade to the AKASO EK7000 and is capable of capturing 4k video and 20MP photos that are crisp and clear. The viewing angle of the camera can be altered by a large amount, and the built-in gyroscope can help with reducing shakiness and help keep every stable.
Sharing photos is easy, there is remote control functionality and the camera is waterproof up to 100 feet. The camera is very popular and useful for many activities that range from diving into the deep water, to recording a fun family outing.
- Waterproof to 100 feet
- Many features to capture great photos and videos in various situations
- Can be used with WiFi or HDMI for sharing content
- Lower light quality isn’t the best
The options and features are plentiful with this action camera. It helps you shoot smooth and clear videos and includes several modes to capture any activity or content imaginable. This includes zoom, time lapse, burst and a shooting timer.
There is even a dash cam mode to start and stop recording when the engine turns on and off. Combine those with 4k video capabilities and a camera with 20MP resolution, and you have an action camera capable of almost anything.
- Several photo and video modes, including dash cam mode
- Incredibly high-quality resolution
- The audio quality is surprisingly good
- The camera can heat up after use
- The app that can be used with this camera isn’t very high quality
This action camera is both durable and provides incredibly high-quality photos and videos. The included motion sensor can identify and predict movement to ensure photos always come out clear. Even the microphone offered on the camera is high-quality.
The camera also comes with a variety of different accessories and attachments to increase the performance of the camera. This includes mounts, clips, an extra battery and more. These will allow you to use the camera in many different ways.
- The included waterproof case is constructed very well
- Comes with an extra battery and several other included accessories
- You can film remotely from up to 10 meters away
- Doesn’t come with a wall charger
- The date and time need to be reset after a battery being changed
Useful Tips and Resources
While these cameras are meant to stand up to a lot of abuse while still remaining functional, this doesn’t mean you should treat them like garbage. The worse you treat the camera, even if it is durable, the shorter it will last and the quicker it will show signs of wear and tear. Be sure to keep it clean of dirt and dust, and store it in a safe spot.
If you decide to get any mounts, accessories and attachments for your action camera, be sure to know how to use them before taking them on a journey. The last thing you want is for a mount or attachment to not be fully connected, and have it (or your camera) fall and get wrecked.
Also, if this is your first action camera, you might be a little confused about how to use it, best practices and things like that. If that’s the case, checking out an article like this should help.
Whether you want to record your exciting journeys and sports, or document a family vacation, an action camera is the perfect way to do so. They are rugged and strong enough to keep up with any sort of activities, while also taking great photos and videos. Any of the aforementioned action cams are great options.
Do you know about any other high-quality action cameras for under $100? If so, we’d love to hear about them in the comments section below.
Chris is a lifelong tech enthusiast with a broad range of interests including coding, data analysis, traveling, and more. He used to work as a software programmer immersing himself in the world of codes, now he finds it more interesting talking to real people.