Q&A: how to recover deleted pictures from my Sony Xperia mobile?
After downloading the photos from my Sony Xperia mobile phone to my computer, I deleted them from my phone to save space. But it turns out that the transfer was not successful. Now the pictures can be found nowhere either on my phone or the computer. How can I recover them?
Based on your description, we're assuming that you don't have any backups of the photos. In this case, there are several photo recovery programs might help you out.
But first — you need to stop using the Xperia phone to take additional pictures or videos, or save any files to the device. This is to avoid potential data overwriting activities that could make the recovery more troublesome.
Then, depending on where your deleted photos were saved (internal memory or mass memory card), the way to recover them can be different.
If your photos were stored on Sony Xperia memory card...
Try this program called Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery, one of the best digital media recovery tools out there that retrieve not only lost pictures but also videos and audio/music files. Follow this step by step guide:
- Connect your Xperia memory card to a PC or Mac. Make sure your computer can detect the card.
- Download Stellar Photo Recovery and install it on your computer.
- Open the software and follow the instruction to scan your Sony card.
- Preview and recover found images after the scan is complete.
If Stellar doesn't come up with your deleted pictures, you may want to try some other applications. See our reviews for the best photo recovery tools in another post.
If your pictures were saved on your Sony Xperia internal memory...
It's going to be a little bit harder to recover them, but it's impossible. Since Sony Xperia phones are built with Android mobile OS, you'll need to use an Android data recovery software. We're taking Dr.Fone as an example to show you how to retrieve your deleted pictures.
- Download Dr.Fone for Android and install the app on your computer. Launch it. You'll see a pop-up window asking you to connect your Android device (i.e. Sony Xperia in this case) to the computer.
- After the connection, follow the guide to instructions to enable USB debugging. This step is necessary for the software to work.
- Now let the software scan your Xperia device to search for recoverable items.
- Recover and save your pictures if they are there.
If none of the methods work for you, your last resort perhaps is to send your device to a data recovery center. But we'd recommend you contact Sony Xperia customer service first before you do that. The link to the official Xperia is here: http://support.sonymobile.com/
Good luck with your efforts!