Q&A: How to recover media files from a Nokia phone mass memory card?
I am using a Nokia cell phone. Not sure how this happened, all my media files (including photos, videos, music) are gone. The files should be on the 4GB mass SD memory card. But when I connected the media card to my computer, nothing was there. I guess it's probably because my son formatted the SD card to load some games. Anyway, is there a way to retrieve the data of my Nokia. Please help, some photos are really important to me!
The first thing we suggest is to check your computer to see if you've ever transferred the files. If it turns out you didn't, then the only way is to try a recovery software. We've reviewed several reliable photo recovery tools here. By the way, most programs also retrieve videos and songs as well.
Super important — before you start using a recovery program. Stop what you are doing with the SD card. That means no more items should be saved in it until you recover your lost items. Even if your son has formatted the card, chances of recovering the data are still high provided that they are not written over.
Next, follow these steps to recover your media files:
- Connect your Nokia mass memory card to your PC or Mac. Usually, you have two ways to do so: use a card reader to load the card, or via the USB cable that comes with your phone.
- Then download and install this program called Stellar Photo Recovery on your computer. Launch the software, click the big blue button located in the center to get started.
- Now select the drive that represents your Nokia memory card, continue to have a scan of the drive.
- When the scan is complete, preview the found items to see if your lost media files are there. If yes, recover and save them to another disk drive.
Hope this tutorial has helped you get back your lost data. Once you've done so, remember to make a few copies of the files in case any future data loss. Also, it's best to backup all your precious photos to an external hard drive or online drives like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.
Update: this guide should also work for the following data loss situations related to a Nokia phone.
- Accidentally erased some images or videos off the gallery.
- Formatted mass memory card without transferring the data.
- All media files are gone due to phone system restore or reset.
- Phone memory card became corrupted or crashed.
- Memory card error showing the card is not formatted or initialized.
- Unable to access media files due to forgetting Nokia phone password.