MacBook Pro Slow? Causes & Fixes
"My MacBook Pro is running very slow now. And it is just less than one year old. At first, I thought I might have been caught a virus or something. But after running a Mac antivirus, it found nothing. Also I rarely download or install those unfamiliar applications, nor do I surf the net for those not clean websites. So what should I do with my slow MacBook Pro?"
There are quite a number of reasons that may cause a MacBook Pro running slow or slower than usual. Basically caused by two reasons: outdated hardware & poor Mac system maintenance.
MacBook Pro Slow Causes
- Not enough RAM. The more RAM you have the more data can be made quickly accessible to the processor, with less need to read and write to disk.
- Running too many apps at one time. Any computer can get slow if too many programs want to join the fun on your MacBook Pro at the same time.
- Shortage of free space in Macintosh HD. Usually you need at least 10% of extra space for your applications to run efficiently. If your hard disk is nearly full, your MacBook Pro can be pulled down at great level.
- Lots of Login Items. This can also make a MacBook Pro work not that smoothly, go to "System Preferences" then "Accounts" and click the Login Items tab to see details.
- Cluttered Hard Disk. There are many useless and duplicate data or applications in our hard drive which will kill a lot of free space of your disk.
- And more reasons causing MacBook Pro machine slow.
MacBook Pro Slow Common Fixes
Step 1: If there are hardware issues such as not enough RAM. Upgrading your RAM will probably give you the biggest speed increase out of any of these tips.
Step 2: Check if you are running too many applications or Login Items. Check these under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching. Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then see what may be consuming your MacBook Pro's system resources.
Step 3: Check if your MacBook Pro is having poor system performance such as too many useless files, applications, cluttered disk etc. There are manual ways to figure those out and get them fixed, but usually they are very complex. As a result, recommend you to let this 16-in-1 Mac speed up tool to have an automatic diagnose of your MacBook Pro for all possible issues.
More about MacBook Pro – It is a line of Macintosh portable computers introduced to market by Apple in 2006. Generally there are 2 designs for the type of MacBook, one is largely carried over from PowerBook G4 while the other is known as the unibody model. But both designs use aluminum. To some large extend, the unibody-designed MacBook Pro follows the styling of the original aluminum iMac and the MacBook Air, and it is slightly thinner than its predecessor, albeit wider and deeper due to the widescreen display.
- Macbook Pro in Wikipedia
- Apple MacBook Pro product page
- Mackeeper software Coupon Code
- MacBook speed up toolkit
- iMac running slow?
- Improve Mac OS X Performance
- How to uninstall programs on Mac
- System cleaner for Mac OS X
- How to permanently delete files on Mac
- Mac keeps freezing?
- How to speed up MacBook Pro
- 8 tips to speed up my laptop for free
- Increase MacBook performance